State officials compiled this list of child malnourishment/starvation cases in 2011 that resulted in criminal charges of the parents. Another state report on concerns about adopted children's care lists 12 cases where withholding food played a role since 2009.
• April 2011 — Vancouver father and girlfriend arrested for allegedly locking children, ages 5 and 7, in cage-like conditions. Children malnourished.*
• May 2011 — Longview couple arrested for allegedly mistreating and starving five adopted children, ages 8-13. The parents and biological children were not malnourished.
• July 2011 — Sedro Wooley parents charged in the death of a 13-year-old adopted daughter, who died from starvation and hypothermia in May. A 10-year-old adoptive sibling also suffered physical abuse and malnourishment.
• August 2011 — Mukilteo woman charged with criminal mistreatment for severe malnourishment of her boyfriend's adopted sister, who was living with them.
• October 2011 — Vancouver parents charged with assault and unlawful imprisonment regarding 16-year-old adopted twins who were severely malnourished.
*Not an adoption case
Source: Washington Department of Social and Health Services