Prep district playoffs around the area were postponed yet again Monday.
The entirety of the local playoff slate was moved back a day as local counties still battled against snow and icy road conditions.
The delays prompted several on social media to ponder what happens when these tournaments hit the WIAA deadline for qualifiers to be confirmed for regional seeding. That deadline was pushed back to Monday, Feb. 18. All games must be completed by 4 p.m. that day, Mark Morris athletic director Robert Blackman said in a press release.
As of Monday afternoon, all local tournaments were still scheduled to be played in entirety — with the dates and times adjusted. However, athletic directors noted that alternative tournament formats would likely have to go in place if games could not be played on Tuesday.
Here are the changes announced Monday:
- All Southwest 2B District quarterfinal games — both boys and girls — were pushed back to Tuesday. The times and locations remained the same, aside from Toledo and Ilwaco’s girls’ game. That game was moved up to 4:30 p.m. at Mark Morris High School.
- The Kelso boys’ home game against Wilson slated for Tuesday was moved to 7 p.m. Wednesday. Kelso’s girls’ game at Foss High School was moved to Thursday.
- The Southwest 1B District Tournament’s semifinal games were all rescheduled for Tuesday in Oakville. A quadruple-header will start at 3 p.m. as the Naselle girls prepare to take on Mary M. Knight. The Naselle boys’ game with Mary M. Knight will follow.
- All eight Southwest 2A District Tournament games were rescheduled for Tuesday.
- Castle Rock girls’ game against the loser of Tenino and Stevenson was postponed to Wednesday.
- The Mat Classic XXXI brackets were released by the WIAA on Monday. The 32-entry brackets will run in a split-day format on Friday at the Tacoma Dome. The 3A, 2A and B tournaments will run in the morning session, starting at 8:30 a.m., and the 4A, 1A and Girls tournaments will start at 2 p.m.
GSHL 2A All-League: Kodee Soetamin and Ryan Pospichal were Mark Morris’ first-team selections on the Greater St. Helens 2A All-League team, released Monday. Washougal’s Isaiah Ross was named Swimmer of the Year and Columbia River’s Alyssa Manlow was named Coach of the Year.
Soetamin, a junior, earned a first-team pick in the 50 freestyle and Pospichal, a junior, earned it in the breaststroke. The Monarchs swept the awards for the breaststroke, as Zackary Butler was on the second team and Kaden Schafer was an honorable mention.
Soetamin also earned a second-team nod in the 100 freestyle. Also for Mark Morris, Andrew MacDonnell was second team in the 500 freestyle and Rudi Soetamin was an honorable mention in the backstroke. MacDonnell was also an honorable mention in the 200 freestyle. R.A. Long’s Hunter Worel was an honorable mention in the 500 freestyle.