Just because the first half ended in 0-0, does not mean it wasn’t eventful. The Mark Morris and Kelso girls soccer teams both got their runs in, battling it out on Schroeder Field during their rivalry soccer match Tuesday night.

After Mark Morris put a single goal on the board in the second half, the Monarchs eeked out the 1-0 win.

“What a match,” Mark Morris coach Eric Maxey said. “That Kelso team is good. So it was nice to put up the first numbers and take the win.”

The first shot of the game came quickly from the Monarchs and was saved by Kelso keeper Tara Liebe, who warded off shots all evening. Kelso returned it with the same intensity but was also blocked all night by Mark Morris keeper Taylor Wilkinson.

Between the constant shots, headers and cross-field kicks, Mark Morris didn’t let off the Lassies. However, the game quickly turned into a ping pong match between the rival teams. The ball rarely stayed on one side for longer than a few minutes.

“That was a really exciting game,” Kelso coach Kemal Vejo said. “It was good to see so much back and forth.”

For everything Mark Morris gave, Kelso gave it right back.

Most of the time the girls spent traveling up and down the field was interlocked with each others feet, legs or arms.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

Mark Morris was first to find the back of the net during the second half, which it did in the 42nd minute. Kelso came back with a vengeance but just couldn’t get around Mark Morris goalie Taylor Wilkinson.

Wilkinson blocked shot after shot, the most impressive block was with just a fingertip to tip the ball out of the box.

“We played way better in the second half,” Vejo said. “We were missing too many in the first. But the last 20 to 25 minutes we were really dominating

Vejo blamed the lack of goals on the lack of planning out the plays while on the field.

“We need to work on our patience,” Vejo said. “We were rushing to get it in, playing the long ball. It didn’t work but that’s the game.”

Working on waiting is what Vejo said Kelso will be doing all week in preparation for their next game against Hockinson on Thursday.

Maxey said his team plans to keep doing what they’re doing.

“We have had a really amazing two weeks of practice,” Maxey said “This feeling doesn’t leave here. This feeling of winning keeps going the rest of the season. Our team just really stepped up tonight. It was an amazing game to play.”

Sign up for our Prep Sports newsletter!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments