Try 1 month for 99¢
Occupy Portland

Occupy Portland protesters gather in front of city hall in Portland on Thursday. Portland Mayor Sam Adams on Thursday ordered Occupy Portland to take down its tent city on two adjacent downtown parks by midnight Saturday, saying conditions at the camp have become dangerous, unhealthy and a refuge for criminals.

PORTLAND — Portland's mayor on Thursday ordered one of the largest Occupy Wall Street camps in the country to shut down this weekend over concerns about unhealthy conditions and the encampment's attraction of drug users and thieves, but a faction of protesters pledged to resist any eviction attempts.

Mayor Sam Adams issued the ultimatum to leave by midnight on Saturday because Occupy Portland ``has lost control of the camps it created.''

``I cannot wait for someone to die,'' he said. ``I cannot wait for someone to use the camp as camouflage to inflict bodily harm on others.''

What began as a protest against Wall Street has morphed into a support center for the city's homeless and addicted population, a refuge for people who have previously had trouble with the law and radicals who have favored confronting police rather than working with them.

Police have linked campers to break-ins at local businesses, bike thefts, public drinking and the smashing of a police car window with a hammer.

Adams said the tipping point came this week with the arrest of a camper on suspicion of setting off a Molotov cocktail outside an office building, as well as two non-fatal drug overdoses at the camp, which has 300 tents and tarps on two adjacent downtown parks.

People at the camp who refuse to leave by the deadline will be arrested, Adams said. Occupy Portland organizers on Thursday were discussing how to respond — some at the camp say they will go voluntarily, others say they intend to resist.

``Hell no, I'm not vacating,'' said protester Joseph Gordon, 31. ``They can come in here and find me.''

The two parks will be closed as of 12:01 a.m. Sunday. When it reopens, the city will enforce laws against camping and erecting structures, the mayor said.

Police and city officials will immediately begin talking with people at the camp to try to persuade them to move before the deadline. Homeless people at the camp will be put in touch with agencies that will help them find shelter, Adams said.

At a meeting Thursday of about 200 people in front of City Hall, three camps emerged among the protesters: Expand the occupation, end it or stay and fight at midnight on Sunday. Those who advocated staying at the camp advised other protesters to fashion gas masks from two-liter bottles of soda, avoid wearing contact lenses and write an emergency legal-aid number on their bodies to call when arrested.

The closure of the camp presents a potential for violence, as at least one dozen so-called Black Bloc anarchists have taken up residence in the encampment. The anarchists do not believe in the state's authority to forcibly remove people and have been involved in conflict with police in other cities.

The Portland encampment went up Oct. 6 after a march in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement. Protesters were sheltered by donated tents, fed by donated food and cared for by volunteer doctors and nurses. But it became a magnet for people not originally part of the movement. Sanitary conditions worsened. Businesses complained of theft.

City officials' patience began growing thin when activists sought to occupy another park on Oct. 30. Police dragged away 27 of the activists when they refused to leave.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Protesters marched over two bridges on Nov. 2, but declined to inform police about the march route. That forced officers on bicycles, motorcycles and in squad cars to follow and block traffic for more than an hour. An officer was pushed into a moving bus sometime near the end of the march, police said. He received just minor injuries.

Adams said his order that the tent city come down ``is not an action against the Occupy Portland movement'' and he hopes it will continue — but not where the camp is now.

``It is my sincere hope that the movement, with its focus on widespread inequity, will flourish in its next phase — a phase where we can focus all our energies on economic and social justice, not on porta-potties and tents,'' Adams said.

Removal of the tent city would mean the end of what has become one of the most visible Occupy camps in the country.

There have been similar complaints about camp conditions at the Occupy protest in Oakland, Calif., where about 180 tents are set up. A group of city and business leaders on Wednesday urged that the encampment be removed, saying that downtown businesses are being harmed by its presence.

In New York City, at the original Occupy Wall Street site, several hundred people are still camping out in Zuccotti Park in lower Manhattan. Police patrol the park round the clock and have made some arrests, but the New York encampment hasn't been overshadowed by reports of crime and violence, as has occurred at Occupy Portland.


Associated Press writers Amy Westfeldt in New York City and Terry Collins in Oakland, Calif., contributed to this report.


Load comments