Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, is warning Congress that if the country reopens too soon during the coronavirus pandemic, it will result in “needless suffering and death.”
Fauci is among the health experts testifying Tuesday to a Senate panel. His testimony comes as President Donald Trump is praising states that are reopening after the prolonged lock-down aimed at controlling the virus’ spread.
Fauci, a member of the coronavirus task force charged with shaping the response to COVID-19, which has killed tens of thousands of people in the U.S., is testifying via video conference after self-quarantining as a White House staffer tested positive for the virus.
Here's an update on all developments. Scroll or swipe further for in-depth coverage.
- Even as President Donald Trump urges getting people back to work and reopening the economy, thousands of new coronavirus infections are being reported daily, many of them job-related. Recent figures show a surge of cases in meat-packing and poultry-processing plants. There's been a spike of new infections among construction workers in Austin, Texas, where that sector recently returned to work.
- Vice President Mike Pence is "maintaining distance for the immediate future" from President Donald Trump after consulting with the White House medical unit, a senior administration official said.
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk is restarting its California factory in defiance of local government efforts to contain the coronavirus. In a tweet Monday, Musk practically dared authorities to arrest him, writing that he would be on the assembly line and if anyone is taken into custody, it should be him.
- The U.S. government is donating “up to 1,000” ventilators to South Africa to help the country respond to COVID-19 as the Trump administration addresses criticism that it hasn’t done enough for countries in need. The U.S. says it soon will make similar donations to countries around the world.
- Homeland Security Investigations, an arm of the Department of Homeland Security, is leading a nationwide crackdown on a wave of fraud tied to the outbreak. It has opened over 370 cases and so far arrested 11 people, as part of “Operation Stolen Promise.
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov says he is hospitalized with the coronavirus.
- India is reopening some of its huge rail network as it looks at easing its nearly seven-week strict lockdown despite a continuing rise in coronavirus infections. Special trains are departing from several large cities including New Delhi and Mumbai. Passengers must pass a thermal screening and maintain social distancing.
- Oprah Winfrey, who visited arenas last year on a wellness tour, is bringing the idea to living rooms while people are homebound due to the coronavirus pandemic. The media mogul on Monday announced “Oprah’s Your Life in Focus: A Vision Forward — Live Virtual Experience,” a free and interactive four-week event that is an extension of her wellness tour with Weight Watchers Reimagined.
For more summaries and full reports, please select from the articles below. Scroll further for the latest interactive maps tracking the virus.
Watch: How llamas could hold the key to combating COVID-19
This coverage is being provided free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus pandemic. Please support local journalism by subscribing.
Concerned about COVID-19?
Sign up now to get the most recent coronavirus headlines and other important local and national news sent to your email inbox daily.