{{featured_button_text}}

A house fire on Monday evening in Kelso killed two dogs and displaced two residents and another dog, Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue reported Tuesday.

The fire was reported at 7:31 p.m. in the 800 block of Ayers Street, said Cowlitz 2 Lieutenant Kurt Stich. Cowlitz 2 firefighters, assisted by crews from the Longview Fire Department, knocked the blaze down by 8 p.m.

A man and a woman were displaced by the fire. The woman was hospitalized briefly for smoke inhalation.

“She was actually, I believe, in the restroom,” Stich said. “(Her) husband yelled, ‘Something’s on fire, get out of the house.’”

The woman rescued one dog while escaping but could not locate the other two, Stich said. He said the Red Cross is in contact with the couple, who were also brought a camper to live in temporarily by family members.

The house is salvageable, Stich said, but he estimated the damage to be “a couple hundred thousand dollars.”

Firefighters have not yet determined a cause, Stich said, but the fire is believed to have started in the basement. The survivors are fortunate the house was equipped with smoke detectors, he said.

“They were sitting watching TV, and the next thing their house is full of smoke.”

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
1
4
0

Load comments