A judge Monday found probable cause to hold Glenn Eric Adams of Santa Barbara, Calif., on allegations that he murdered a disabled man in a Longview hotel 32 years ago.

Cowlitz Superior Court Judge Michael Evans also set a hearing for 9 a.m. Thursday to rule on a prosecution request that Adams be held without bail.

Adams faces first-degree murder and first-degree robbery charges in connection with the suffocation death of Russell Lyle Haines, 53, in the Oregon Way Hotel on March 13, 1986.

Adams, 58, walked into the Cowlitz County Hall of Justice Friday and confessed to robbing and murdering Haines, according to court papers police filed Monday.

But his first attempt to confess was over a year ago, when he approached authorities in Santa Barbara, Calif., to turn himself in for Haines’ murder, according to the papers. But he left before he could be interviewed (the paperwork did not describe the circumstances).

On Sept. 5, two Longview police detectives interviewed Adams in the Klamath County Jail, where he was booked for a separate crime, which was not described in the probable cause statement. He told detectives specific details of Haines’ murder, but “not enough to conclude he was in fact the culprit,” according to the court papers. At that meeting, Adams voluntarily gave a DNA sample to compare to crime scene evidence.

It was not clear Monday whether police had any further contact with Adams until he confessed in Kelso on Friday, and court papers did not state whether DNA tests found any match with the crime scene.

In his Friday interview with police, Adams said he and his girlfriend at the time were living in the Oregon Way Hotel and had argued about money. He knew Haines regularly carried large amounts of cash. He waited in the hallway for Haines to arrive and attacked him as he unlocked the door to his room, putting him in a choke hold. Haines was caring a bag of groceries that fell to the floor when he, too, fell unconscious, according to the court papers.

Adams told police he found $400 in Haines’ wallet. Haines started reviving, and Adams said he found a towel or a shirt and wrapped it tightly around Haines’ neck.

When Haines was dead, Adams said, he picked up his body and placed it on the bed. That’s when Haines prosthetic leg detached. Adams told investigators he had not known up to that point that Haines walked on a prosthesis.

According to the court papers, “Adams has sufficiently provided significant and specific details that demonstrate intimate knowledge of the crime. Adams states he just wants to right the wrong that he has done.”

In court Monday, Adams chose to be represented by a public defender, although he questioned whether having an attorney is necessary if he pleads guilty.

Evans answered simply: “Generally, yes.”

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments