The Longview City Council Thursday supported proposed guidelines for outside groups to host events with alcohol at R.A Long Park.
Organizers would need to apply for a special use permit, be certified to pour alcohol and follow security and safety guidelines.
The alcohol guidelines will come back as a proposed ordinance for the council to consider at a later meeting.
Councilwoman MaryAlice Wallis was the only one opposed to the guidelines Thursday.
“I don’t see how alcohol fits into the guidelines for our city,” she said. “R.A. Long stated one of goals is to improve the mind, body and soul, and this (ordinance) does not belong with this vision. So I will not support this.”
The council also:
- Amended the city’s biennial budget to include a contract with Hough, Beck & Baird, Inc. of Seattle to create
- a master plan for an athletic facility.
- Created a local improvement district to pave Beech Street from California Way to 14th Avenue.
- Approved $14,300 in Justice Assistance Grant funding with Cowlitz County for the Longview School Officer Program.
- Appointed Councilwoman Wallis as a liaison to the Accessibility Advisory Committee.