Kelso High School was evacuated for about an hour Tuesday after a student allegedly set fire to a soap dispenser, requiring a response from Cowlitz 2 Fire and Rescue, according to police records.
Kelso police arrested 18-year-old David Bardal for allegedly set fire to a boys room soap dispenser, the report said. He was booked at the jail on suspicion of first-degree arson.
Bardal admitted to Principal John Gummel that he had started the fire with a cigarette lighter, telling Kelso PD Officer Ralph Hines that he had done so because he was curious to see if the soap would burn.
Another student entered the bathroom and began filming the fire, but left to alert a teacher once it began to get out of control. Teachers, a custodian, and an assistant principal attempted to control the flames before Cowlitz 2 arrived and put out the fire.