{{featured_button_text}}

Longview firefighters put out an attic fire early Wednesday morning, leaving three people uninjured but unable to live in the house. 

At about 2:30 a.m., firefighters responded to a call for a fire on the 2600 block of Maplewood Drive in Longview, according to a Longview Fire Department press release.

When they arrived, all three of the residents were safely outside, according to the press release, including one person who uses a wheelchair. The residents told firefighters they had been woken up by a loud crash and had found that their newly installed kitchen ceiling fan had fallen and they could see fire in the attic above it, the press release said. 

Before firefighters arrived, some of the residents went back inside to get keys to move vehicles and allow firefighters better access, the press release said.  

Firefighters extinguished the fire in about 20 minutes, the press release said, and determined that the fire had started at the electrical box for the new ceiling fan.

The fire had been smoldering for "quite some time," according to the press release, long enough to burn through the bottom cords of the ceiling joists. 

The family has moved into their motorhome for the time being.

The press release also said that the fire department "reminds everyone that if a fire breaks out in your home, get out and stay out, and don’t re-enter until after the fire department advises it’s safe to re-enter."

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
1
0
4
0

Load comments