Here are sample questions from a round robin of a previous year of Knowlege Bowl, provided by Steve Powell, Mark Morris High School teacher and coordinator of the Lower Columbia League of Knowledge Bowl. That league includes 12 varsity teams and 15 JV teams from Castle Rock, Ilwaco, Kalama, Kelso, La Center, Mark Morris, R.A. Long, Ridgefield, Toutle Lake, Wahkiakum and Woodland high schools.
When the students answer these, they can talk to others on their team but can use no notes or reference sources of any kind.
1. What phrase, borrowed from the French language, indicates someone with tact or the ability to do or say the right thing at the right time?
2. The Supreme Court will issue a writ of certiorari if how many justices agree to hear an appeal?
3. What verb form is used in this line? "Duodena is depositing drivel in her dehydrator."
4. In the central nervous system, collections of neurons are called nuclei. What do we call collections of neurons in the peripheral nervous system?
5 What integer value is equal to the following? 17 factorial divided by the product of 14 factorial and 3 factorial.
6. The Roman emperor Constantine established his capital at Byzantium on the European side of what strait?
7. Where in a musical composition or movement is the coda found?
8. What island chain in the West Indies includes Martinique, St. Kitts and Nevis, Aruba, Grenada and Dominica?