Another week, another thrilling win for Oregon State.
The Beavers overcame a late nine-point deficit to knock off San Diego State when Steve Nelson returned an interception 16 yards for the winning touchdown with less than three minutes left.
That puts the Beavers at 3-1 heading into this week’s home game against Colorado, which has been off the last two Saturdays; the Buffaloes had a bye this past week and their game with Fresno State was cancelled the week before.
Stanford made quite a statement with a 42-28 win over Arizona State in an early-season test. Washington (56-0 over Idaho State), Washington State (42-0 over Idaho) and UCLA (59-13 over New Mexico State) all had laughers.
Utah rebounded from the tough overtime loss to the Beavers last week with a 20-13 victory at BYU, and USC eked out a home win, 17-14, over Utah State.
Arizona, California and Oregon had byes.
Conference play heats up this week with five games on the slate: Colorado at OSU, Arizona at Washington, Stanford at Washington State, USC at Arizona State and California at Oregon. UCLA and Utah have byes.
Here are this week’s rankings:
1,. Oregon (3-0, 0-0): Ducks had the week off and you could say they may have this week off as well with Cal coming to Autzen. Bears have put up points, but have also given them up in droves. Oregon could easily hit 60.
2. Stanford (3-0, 1-0): Cardinal jumped all over Arizona State, then withstood late Sun Devils challenge. Stanford looked like the team some had going to the national title game.
3. UCLA (3-0, 0-0): Bruins used a big second quarter to roll to the lopsided win.
4. Washington (3-0, 0-0): Huskies piled up the yards and points at home, but it won’t be so easy this week with Arizona coming to town in the Pac-12 opener.
5. Arizona (3-0, 1-0): Wildcats had a bye to get ready for the Huskies. Should be a good measuring stick for Rich Rod and company.
6. Arizona State (2-1, 0-1): Sun Devils showed fight late, but had an awful start. A little post Wisconsin hangover? ASU must regroup with win at home over USC.
7. Washington State (3-1, 1-0): Cougars rolled at home and are 3-1. Stanford comes to town this week. Can they keep the magic going?
8. Oregon State (3-1, 1-0): Beavers have given fans heart attacks the past couple weeks, but have won. That’s the bottom line.
9. Utah (3-1, 0-1): Utes rebounded from tough loss with win on the road. Good time for a bye.
10. Colorado (2-0, 0-0): Buffaloes haven’t played in a couple weeks. That could mean they are well-rested or a little rusty.
11. USC (3-1, 0-1): Trojans haven’t found much easy this year and struggled to beat a solid Utah State team. Tough trip to Tempe to face the Sun Devils this week.
12. California (1-2, 0-0): Bears coming off a bye and get Ducks on the road. It could get ugly.