Kelso-RAL football

Kelso’s Ben Bergonzine holds on to Owen Enriquez to draw an intentional grounding penalty early in Friday’s 48-21 victory over R.A. Long.

Joshua Hart, The Daily News

After graduating defensive player of the year Colton Johnson, area sack leader Kyler Rahn and big body Nick Moore from last year’s defensive line, Kelso knew it would have to lean a bit on its deep linebacker corps.

So it’s no surprise to them to see senior Ben Bergonzine step up in big ways so far this season. The linebacker recorded seven tackles in Week 1, before tallying two sacks in a 48-21 win over R.A. Long on Friday.

Bergonzine was all over the field in the victory, also contributing as a fullback to help the Scotties rush for 304 yards. His Week 2 tackles were not yet reported as of Monday afternoon.

“Bergonzine stepped up to play that position for AJ (Hoggatt),” Kelso coach Steve Amrine said. “And he also did a really nice job at full back. Overall our physicality was good.”

Flanagan makes

move to RB

All-league and all-area receiver Tyler Flanagan wasn’t stationed at his normal post Friday during a 35-28 victory over La Center.

Instead coach Mike Woodward moved the elusive wideout inside to play running back and then challenged the receivers to step up. It worked wonders, as the Beavers recovered from a 14-point output in Week 1 to score 35 in Week 2.

“We want to put him at receiver and not stick him in the backfield the entire game but we needed to open up the passing game,” Woodward said. “Which is exactly what it did. They were keying in on (Flanagan) and the receivers came through.”

Five receivers caught at least two passes, including seven catches from Alex Bishop, and Flanagan rushed 21 times for 86 yards and three scores in the comeback win.

Will Flanagan stay in the backfield? Woodward wouldn’t say, but at least the Beavers now have options.

Delay of game rules come into question

After the third delay of game penalty, Ilwaco coach Kevin McNulty was forced to take a timeout.

That was the goal of Toledo, and first-year head coach Mike Christensen, when the Indians intentionally took consecutive delay of game penalties on a fourth down just before halftime in their 35-7 win over Ilwaco on Friday evening.

“I thought the clock was supposed to stop after a delay of game call,” McNulty said after the game. He’d rushed onto the field to fight for a stoppage as the Indians were clearly trying to run clock with a 28-point lead and set to receive the second half kick.

But three flags and no stoppage signal from the officials took two minutes off. Ilwaco did manage a touchdown after starting with excellent field position, so it’s not as if the strategy worked wonders. But it could have.

“I was hoping he would use his timeout earlier,” Christensen said.

The initial delay of game penalty came as the Indians didn’t see a signal from the officials that indicates the play clock is down to five seconds. Referees could have flagged Toledo for unsportsmanlike conduct, and do have the authority to stop the clock.

If the Fishermen didn’t score, or if the Indians managed to run the clock all the way down, it would make for an excellent case study of the rulebook.


Load comments