First Christian

Vandals strike historic church, burn hymnals, damage piano

2012-11-27T23:27:00Z 2012-12-03T06:08:27Z Vandals strike historic church, burn hymnals, damage pianoBy Tony Lystra / The Daily News Longview Daily News
November 27, 2012 11:27 pm  •

The hymnals’ pages were twisted, wrinkled and blackened by fire. They lay on the sanctuary floor in Longview’s historic First Christian Church amid condom and candy wrappers and the remnants of offering baskets that had been torn to shreds.

The carpet near a pew was burnt, and the sanctuary reeked of smoke. Candles were scattered across the floor. The f-word was carved into a wooden piano upon which a congregation member had carefully arranged a Christmas nativity scene.

Eric Atcheson, the church’s 26-year-old pastor, believes it’s his job as a Christian minister to forgive.

But how do you forgive this?

Somebody — probably more than one person by the looks of the damage — broke into the brick church at the corner of 20th Avenue and Kessler Boulevard sometime between Sunday night and Tuesday morning and unleashed a frenzy of random destruction.

Among the damage: A small fire was set in a bathroom and a toilet clogged and overflowed. Garbage was strewn throughout several rooms. Music stands in the front of the sanctuary were tossed askew.

Atcheson, who has been pastor of the 80-member congregation for just more than a year, discovered the damage Tuesday morning after returning from a long holiday weekend.

“I was just kind of stunned,” he said. “The jaw hits the floor. I stood there for probably two minutes before I started calling people.”

Atcheson and his congregation’s members said they can’t make sense of the vandalism. Nothing appears to be missing — except for a few Bibles that Atcheson believes were burned up in the bathroom. Was this an attack on the church? Was it the act of thoughtless or cruel teenagers?

“I’m struggling with this,” said Atcheson, a native of Kansas City, Mo., who is leading

a church for the first time since graduating from seminary last year. “This is something of God’s that’s been taken from him. ... If I’m angry on my own behalf that doesn’t do anyone any good — even though I really want to be.”

To the people who tried to ruin the church, Atcheson had this message: “If you want to be here, come and see us on Sunday morning — come see the people you’re hurting. ... It isn’t just books and carpet. You’re destroying a ministry.

“It’s not the hymnals. It’s what’s in the hymnals. It’s the music that people here love.”

By Tuesday afternoon, a plastic folding table had been erected in front of the church’s pews. It was covered with random objects — a wreath, a few cans of whipping cream from the kitchen — each coated with the dark powder that detectives had used to dust them for fingerprints.

Longview police Capt. Robert Huhta said investigators haven’t yet identified any suspects, but the investigation will continue. No damage estimate was available.

The First Christian Church, across the street from Lake Sacajawea, is one of the city’s oldest churches. It was founded in 1928, and the sanctuary was built three years later, Atcheson said. Many of the congregation’s families have been here since the city’s earliest days. R.A. Long, the founder of Longview, spoke from the pulpit at the first service in 1931. The main sanctuary has a lovely vaulted timber ceiling based on traditional English churches of the 13th century, and the building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

In recent years, Atcheson said, the church has tried to attract younger families. What has been constant, he said, is the congregation’s “maternal” feel. Members bring sandwiches, vegetable trays and cookies for a light lunch that follows each Sunday service. Most of the congregation attends the after-service gathering, he said.

Brenda Strite, who has attended First Christian for more than a decade, said she was overcome with anger when she learned her church had been trashed.

“I was pissed,” said Strite, 48, of Longview. “Angry. Beside myself. I just couldn’t believe that someone would do that to a church, a house of worship.”

Justin Wheeler, a congregation member and the church’s janitor, said he has found a refuge in the church.

“I’m an addict and alcoholic in recovery. They’re very accepting of that,” said Wheeler, 24, of Longview. “They take good care of me.”

He said he was “devastated” when he learned of the damage.

Wheeler said he was preparing to help clean up. Several ministers in the community also had offered to help.

“I think the best thing we can do is have this place cleaned up for Sunday,” said Atcheson, who is determined that the destruction won’t interfere with the church’s Christmas celebrations.

“Yes, we’re upset and we’re hurt. But that’s no excuse to not offer the Christmas story to the people who come to hear it,” he said. “There’s some grace there. I’m sure of it. As much as it’s taught me the bad of human nature, it’s taught me the good as well.”

1. Keepinginformed
    Keepinginformed - November 28, 2012 9:24 am
    This is horrible, so sad... This church does so much for this area it breaks my heart to see what has happened... This church supplies the emergency support shelter with Christmas every year, I hope the vandals did not destroy all their hard work... If you need any help cleaning this mess up , where do i sign up?
  2. boo
    boo - November 28, 2012 11:37 am
    I agree, this is so sad. What is happening to people today? You can't get much lower than trashing a church. I hope these people get caught. I would really like to know, "Why did you do this?" Ssacrilegious. I pray for these souls.
  3. Stella
    Stella - November 28, 2012 2:04 pm
    I believe christianity is a myth, but believing in the bible is a personal choice. It doesn't mean it's OK to destroy something that means so much to others. This is probably drunk or high individuals without a purpose.
  4. Keepinginformed
    Keepinginformed - November 28, 2012 5:13 pm
    This isnt a religious issue, Stella I respect what ever way you believe... This is a crime against longview, R A Long spoke from that pulpit, That church has given to this community since 1931... This is insane and I can not wait until they find the person and we learn why
  5. JustAnotherVoice
    JustAnotherVoice - November 28, 2012 5:43 pm
    So, when these people are caught will this be prosecuted as a hate crime or is that classification reserved for other religions? Just asking.
  6. Keepinginformed
    Keepinginformed - November 28, 2012 7:24 pm
    They are starting to do the clean up tomorrow (Thursday) at 2(ish) if you can help at all please come join everyone there, they could use the help and a happy face to cheer them up....

Justanothervoice: I dont know what they will be charged with, I know attempted arson will be one LPD investigated it thoroughly so I have faith, something will happen, I would like to know "why"... But like Rev. eric said, they need to come join in and see what the church offers
  7. smelly
    smelly - November 29, 2012 11:21 am
    Stella, I pray for you! Just remember that the sole reason for this church is to see that everyone in the world goes to heaven. Remember there has never been an unbeliever in a foxhole and someday you will be in a "foxhole" waiting to die and all of a sudden you will start believing. The reason this church does all this wonderful stuff is because of people like you.
  8. Stella
    Stella - November 29, 2012 11:51 am
    Yes, Keepinginformed, I realize this is not a religious issue. Wanted to point out to whomever posted yesterday that not all non-believers are bad people and wouldn't approve of this awful vandalism.
  9. Boogs
    Boogs - December 02, 2012 11:21 pm
    Sounds like something the ILWU would do

Contests

Auto Racing Challenge

Auto Racing Challenge

Pick the 10 drivers you think will finish 1st through 10th for each race. Your top 15 races count as your overall score. Compete for great nat…

February 16, 2015 10:30 am

Featured Businesses

Latest Local Offers

Want more?

Visit http://tdn.com/email-updates/signup for more ways to save money and stay connected with your community .

Participate

Youth Sports Photos

Submit your youth sports photo to the B & B ENTEK youth photo page. Your photo could appear in the sports section of the Sunday edition of the printed paper and will appear in the online photo gallery!

TDN on Twitter