An evening of family fun is planned next week to commemorate the return of the Shay locomotive to the lawn outside the Longview Public Library. The event will be held from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Highlights will include:
• Luminaria will lead people on the path of lights to the historic locomotive. Longview Fire Chief Phil Jurmu will collect tickets to get a seat in the Shay. Kids can sit in the engineer’s seat and ring the bell. Jeff Wilson and other volunteers who worked on the project will tell their story and Tim Shay, a descendant of the inventor, will attend.
• The Byker Family Bluegrass Band will play favorite train songs, such as “Engine No. 9” and “The Little Red Caboose.”
• “Polar Express,” the 2004 movie rated PG, will be shown in the library auditorium.
• Rick Loewen’s Lego model railroad and town will be displayed. Kids can make their own train cars and watch the engine pull it around the track.
• Experienced players will be on hand to teach Ticket To Ride, a board game in which players assume the role of railroad tycoons.
• Kids can listen railroad stories new and old and explore train pop-up books.
• Volunteers from the historic Kelso train station will describe their work.
• Other kids’ activities include making a candy train ornament and playing “Pin the Steam on the Engine.”