Here are examples of questions that could be asked during Knowledge Bowl competitions. Questions can be quite lengthy. Answers are listed at the end.
1. Name the Scot who recently took over from Tony Blair as England's Prime Minister.
2. Once called Vitamin M, it is important in preventing neural tube defects in developing human fetuses.
3. Given a quote, identify the literary character who said it and the work it appeared in.
a. "I pray one prayer — I repeat it until my tongue stiffens — Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living."
c. "A hit, a very palpable hit."
4. Though outnumbered two to one, Militates' forces managed to kill almost one quarter of the invading Persian forces. The Greek and Persian armies spent the first eight days of the battle in a stalemate, though on the ninth day the Greeks drove the main Persian army back to the sea, marched back to Athens and routed the secondary Persian army there as well. Though the modern version has been mangled from the original story, identify this 490 BCE battle that involved Phidippides' run from the namesake battlefield to Athens.
5. What is the capital of Bolivia?
- 1. Gordon Brown
- 2. Folic acid
- 3. a. Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights
- 3 b. Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire
- 3 c. Orsic in Hamlet
- 4. Marathon
- 5. It has two capitals, La Paz and Sucre